The History of South Point United Methodist Church

 

South Point United Methodist Church was organized as a Sunday School in the summer of 1877. A group of interested people of the South Point community in Belmont met at Gaither’s Factory, formerly called Stowesville Mill, a short distance from the present church.

On March 2nd, 1878, Thomas Williams and his wife deeded to the Trustees of South Point Methodist Episcopal Church South approximately four acres of land for the church building site. In 1878 South Point Methodist Episcopal Church South was formed and began meeting in a simple frame building with slab benches.

In 1924 the old building was moved a short distance and Sunday school rooms were added to the front. In February 1937 a separate fellowship hall and educational building were erected by members of the church. As membership of the church grew the members realized a larger church was needed. A new brick sanctuary was built and still stands today.

In 1968, we became South Point United Methodist Church when the Methodist Church joined with the Evangelical United Brethren Church to form the United Methodist Church.

In 1987 an educational building and fellowship hall were added on to the church.

In September of 2004 the church began a Weekday School to offer a half-day preschool to children in our community. The school continues to be a vital part of our congregation and community.

In 2007 and 2013, land surrounding the church was purchased and the church currently sits on approximately 14 acres of land. As the community we are in continues to grow, it is our hope and prayer that we will live out our faith in a way that shares God’s love with the people around us.


Sanctuary with snow.jpg